Friday, December 16, 2011

Bloomer Junior Track Bike - Front Triangle Fabrication

Well, since I messed up the chainstay on David's Frame and have
to wait until Tuesday to continue, I decided to start my next project.
I don't usually do this.  I like to finish one frame before starting the
next one, but with 2 weeks off from work I want to take advantage of
the time I have available for frame building.  I am building a bike for
the youngest ridersat the Velodrome at Bloomer Park.  The youth
program has become very popular in the last couple of years and their
is a demand for small bikes for the youngest kids.  It is next to
impossible to find any track bikes this small.  Also, the smallest bikes
that we have at the Velodrome are small enough for the leg length of
these smallest riders, but the top tube length is often too long on them.
A couple of months ago I built a track bike frame for Cam and made
the top tube as short as I could without toe overlap with the front wheel.
When Cam tried out his bike for the first time we could see that the
shorter top tube length worked out great.  Dale Hughes asked me if I
could make another bike with the same dimensions to be part of the
stable of loaner bikes that the track has for riders.  I was glad to do this
and decided to plan a build over the winter.  Well, that time has come
and this is another build that I am looking very much forward to.  I
was able to get the front triangle tubes mitered tonight.  I tried some-
thing different on this one and used a curved down tube in addition
to the curved top tube.  It looked awesome in the BikeCad design
software and I think that the pictures below show that. 



1 comment:

  1. You're right - that curved downtube looks awwesome into that curved top tube, on that track frame.

    And the contrast between the two is pretty comical.

    david

    ReplyDelete